Okay, so this one is for all the matcha latte lovers. We love Starbucks, right?
Whenever we crave a good mug of coffee or a tea latte, we run to Starbucks to get our hands on our favorite beverage. Be it a quick espresso shot, frothy iced cafe mocha, or a matcha latte, Starbucks got our back whenever we needed a warm hug of hot/cold beverages.
We, humans, are lazy, and sometimes, all we need is our favorite beverage right in our hands without stepping out of the house. Thanks to the internet and FMCG businesses. Now, you can make your favorite drink anytime, anywhere.
To help you craft soul-filling, rich in taste, and super amazing drink, we’ve crafted an iced matcha latte recipe* that can cater to all your tea latte cravings and give you a dash of freshness you’re looking for.
Also read: My favorite Starbucks lattes
Before going into super detail about the recipe, let’s first understand what exactly is an iced matcha latte and why you need to give a shot to this startling drink.
Iced matcha latte: What is it?
A matcha latte is simply a tea latte prepared using matcha green tea powder. It totally depends on you how you want your matcha latte. It can be hot or cold with a dash of sweetness into it.
The lively green color elevates the overall look of the drink, and its earthy and bitter taste gives a sense of calmness when you have its first sip. The beverage is refreshing and can cater to your cravings with ease. Rich in antioxidants, matcha powder is healthy with surreal health benefits.
Here’s why you’ll fall in love with matcha latte:
(1) Easy ingredients: The best part about matcha latte is that it’s super easy to make. All you need is matcha powder, water, milk, and sweetener.
(2) Customizable: You can customize your matcha latte as per your convenience. Make it sweet or strong as you’re in control of the beverage.
(3) Less caffeine content: Many people don’t prefer the jitters and rush they experience after having coffee. Matcha latte has less caffeine content in nature compared to a regular mug of coffee and gives a refreshing feel with its natural taste.
(4) Health benefits: If we go back to our history, matcha was used by Japanese women as a facial mask. Its antibacterial properties help the skin to get a natural and brimming glow.
Now that we know why you’ll love iced matcha latte, let us give you some expert tips that you can ace to brew a glass of iced matcha latte.
(a) If you want your drink with a punch of sweetness, go for sweetened matcha powder instead of the regular one. The sweetened powder will be a little pale in color and will dissolve without leaving any lumps behind.
(b) Use a mesh strainer to filter out lumps and adulterant materials (if any).
(c) To add some flavors to your iced matcha latte, use vanilla syrup or a vanilla sweet cream cold foam instead of a regular sweetener or a plain simple syrup.
Ingredients you need for the iced matcha latte recipe:
(a) Matcha powder: Buy a good quality matcha powder for a nice glass of iced matcha latte.
(b) Milk: Again, totally your choice. You can go either for vegan milk or normal milk as per your taste preference.
(d) Sweetener: If you’re a fan of flavors, go for a vanilla-flavored sweetener. This is definitely a good option compared to a regular sweetener and adds more fun to your drink.
Now that you’ve sourced everything to make an iced matcha latte,
let’s move to a detailed step-by-step guide for the iced matcha latte recipe.
(1) Sift your matcha using a mesh strainer. This will remove impurities and lumps from the powder.
(2) Use a matcha whisk and whisk the powder a little before adding any liquid into it.
(3) Add a little hot or cold water to the powder and whisk it. This will give a smooth and velvety consistency to the latte.
(4) Take a tall glass and pour in the matcha solution, milk, and sweetener of your choice.
(5) Once done, give it a gentle stir so that all the elements mix well.
(6) Now, add ice cubes, and voila! Your iced matcha latte is ready.
Scroll down and see a detailed recipe card for the same:
Starbuck’s Iced Matcha Latte Recipe Card
- Tall glass
- Mesh strainer
- Ballon whisker
- 1 tsp Matcha powder
- 1/2 cup Hot or cold water
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Sweetener or vanilla flavor
- Use a strainer and separate impurities and lumps from your matcha powder.
- Use a balloon whisker and whisk your matcha powder a little.
- Pour in some hot or cold water and give it a gentle mix. This will maintain the consistency of the matcha.
- Once done, add this matcha solution, milk, water, and sweetener to a tall glass and give it a gentle stir.
- Refrigerate the drink if you want a cold latte.
- Add ice cubes to the beverage and give a gentle stir. Once done, your iced matcha latte is ready to serve.
- Since you’re making the drink from the scratch at your place, you have full liberty to customize it. Want it sweet? Add more sweetener and vice versa.
- Remember that matcha powder is green in color. A vibrant green color denotes a better quality of matcha powder.
- Starbucks generally uses only 2% milk in its matcha latte. You can use it at your convenience.
- Use filtered water to freeze ice.
- If you don’t want to buy a sweetener separately, buy sweetened matcha powder but note that it’ll be a little pale in color.
- Matcha powder creates lumps. Use a mesh strainer to avoid lumps.
- Go for fresh cold milk to get a creamy consistency.
- Don’t get confused between matcha powder and matcha premixes. Both are super different, and always choose matcha powder over matcha premixes to get the real taste of matcha in your beverage.
- If you want to store matcha solution for future use, double or triple the ingredients and store it in a mason jar. You can reserve this solution for a week.
The Bottom Line:
Be it a piping hot coffee or a super chilled iced matcha latte*, Starbucks nails it when it comes to the beverage. Their premium quality, brewing technique, and wide range of coffee beans and powders mark them out from the clutter. They also sell their raw materials so you can brew your drink as per your choice.
Starbucks burns a hole in the pocket, but if you can source the ingredients, it’ll literally cost half the price or less than that to make your favorite Starbucks beverage. All you need is moderate barista skills, awareness regarding your taste palette, and some creativity and experimentation.
Grab the glass and strainer, go for the matcha powder, prepare the solution, dash in milk, add sweet little drops of sweetener, throw in some ice, and you’re good to go!
Iced Blonde Vanilla Latte Recipe
Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
If you like a bitter-sweet and strong taste in your beverage and just don’t want the jitters you get after coffee, this drink is for you.
Level up and try iced matcha latte today!