Pumpkin Cream Roll | dashofbutter.com-7

Pumpkin Cream Roll

Oh Pumpkin Spice … everything.

To keep tabs of pumpkin related things that I like and don’t like:

Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte … not good. Ew. Gross.

Pumpkin Pie syrup for my coffee … good.

Pumpkin Pie … not good. It’s the texture. Can’t handle the texture.

Pumpkin Cream Roll … good.

This dessert is shockingly good, and it’s in part thanks to a new secret (not so secret) egg replacement ingredient for vegans.

Aquafaba. Sounds fancy, hey? (Here’s the secret – It’s the juice from that can of chickpeas that usually ends up down the drain)

When whipped on high for about 5 minutes, it does the same thing as egg whites. I took it to the soft peak stage, but I’ve heard of it being an awesome ingredient for making macarons.

Pumpkin Cream Roll | dashofbutter.com-2 Pumpkin Cream Roll | dashofbutter.com-3 Pumpkin Cream Roll | dashofbutter.com-4

I know, I know, you are probably thinking “but won’t my desserts taste like beans?”. Surprisingly, no. Once baked, it doesn’t taste like anything but glorious pumpkin cake.

I’m not a huge dessert eater, but everyone else in my house will fight over this. Dave actually told me that he’s kind of glad he wasn’t here to watch me make it. He knows what the secret ingredient is, but the idea of using it grosses him out a bit.

I was inspired for this recipe by Rasa Malaysia. I love her blog, and before I gave up meat – she was my go-to for all asian inspired recipes. When I saw this pop up on my feed, I knew I wanted to make it. I knew I wanted it to be vegan, and I knew this would be the perfect recipe for me try out this aquafaba thing I’ve heard sooooo much about. The first time I made it, I tried using a vegan cream cheese frosting recipe, which tasted great, but didn’t look very pretty. The second time I knew I wanted something a little lighter for the filling, so I used whipped coconut cream sweetened with icing sugar. This was the winner.

Don’t forget to chill a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge over night. I also chill the bowl in the freezer. It helps stiffen up the whipped cream.

This would be a great dessert to serve at Thanksgiving (which is coming up pretty quick here in Canada). Maybe just don’t open with “this was made with chickpea juice!”. Save that for after everyone has tried it.

Pumpkin Cream Roll | dashofbutter.com-1 Pumpkin Cream Roll | dashofbutter.com-5

• 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 can Full Fat Coconut Milk
  • 1/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375F
  2. In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ground ginger, salt and ground nutmeg)
  3. In separate bowl, add the chickpea liquid and mix on high with electric mixer for 5 minutes, or until soft peaks form.
  4. Turn the mixer down to medium and add the applesauce and slowly add the coconut sugar. Once all mixed, add in the pumpkin puree and apple cider vinegar.
  5. Fold in the dry ingredients and pour into a parchment lined jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cake springs back when you lightly press it.
  7. Carefully roll (from the short end) up in a towel and let cool.
  8. In a chilled bowl, carefully scoop out the cream from the can of coconut milk and whip until stiff peaks form.
  9. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until combined.
  10. Unroll the cake and spread the coconut cream on the inside, leaving an inch or two at the end.
  11. Roll up carefully and dust with icing sugar and chill.

Don’t forget to use #dashofveganbutter if you make this, I’d love to see it!

Rhiannon, xo

36 Comments

• Bethany @ Athletic Avocado
    October 3, 2015 7:57 am

Holy YUM! I am so impressed how this pumpkin cream roll is not only beautiful, but its a lot healthier ! Also I agree, starbucks PSLs are yucky!

October 3, 2015 10:33 am

Thank you sooo much, Bethany :) I thought I was the only one who didn’t like the PSL’s, glad to hear I’m not <3

• Wendy
    October 5, 2015 7:27 am

Our chickpea juice is full of salt… is yours different? I am interesting in trying but at the risk of loadingup on salt. Thanks for your help.

October 5, 2015 10:02 am

Hi Wendy, Thanks for your comment/question. The chickpeas I buy are the Unico brand, and have no added salt

• Priscilla
    October 5, 2015 7:55 am

This looks great! I see apple cider vinegar in the ingredients list but not in the instructions. Where does it come in?

October 5, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Priscilla, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have revised the recipe instructions and you should see it now :)

• Kim
    October 5, 2015 8:20 am

This recipe sounds heavenly! Only one question: where does the apple cider vinegar get added?

October 5, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Kim, thanks for your comment and for noticing my error. I have revised the recipe instructions and you should see it now :)

• Kayla
    October 5, 2015 8:20 am

Can’t wait to try this! So glad it’s oil free and vegan :) I have some chickpea liquid that I need to use up. Thanks for the recipe.

October 5, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Kayla, thanks for your comment! Let me know how it turns out for you :)

• Trackback: Meatless Monday: 12 Vegetarian Thanksgiving Dishes | Revive Wellness
  • Catherine
    October 5, 2015 9:56 am

I’m not a PSL fan, but I’m a pumpkin fan! I’m excited to try this recipe. It looks quite yum. Thanks for sharing!!!

October 5, 2015 10:05 am

I’m finding more and more people who dislike the PSL as much as me. The way the internet carries on about them, I really thought I was going crazy for not liking them.

• Nanette
    October 5, 2015 11:01 am

Looks lovely. Question, I usually make my own beans in a pressure cooker. Any idea if I can substitute the liquid from freshly cooked beans for canned?

October 5, 2015 11:22 am

Hmmm, great question! I’m not sure though. I’ll take a look through Google and see if I can find you the answer.

• Ryleigh
    October 5, 2015 2:10 pm

What temperature do you bake it at?

October 5, 2015 2:13 pm

Sorry about that. 375F. I’ll update the recipe. Thanks for pointing it out :)

• Rechel
    October 5, 2015 5:05 pm

I am trying to eat less wheat (gluten). How do you think this would be with coconut flour?

October 7, 2015 10:13 am

Thanks for your comment, Rechel. I’m still trying to find a good balance of baking with coconut flour to come out with something I’m happy with. If you make it gluten free, please let me know how it turns out for you :)

• Beth
    October 8, 2015 8:17 pm

Of all the horrible things to be allergic to, I can’t eat chickpeas. Would navy beans work just as well do you think?

October 9, 2015 12:03 pm

That is a horrible thing to be allergic to! I did a quick search on Google, and apparently you can do it with Navy beans too. Certainly doesn’t hurt to try :) Just beat them on high for 5 minutes, and if you get the soft peaks, then I’m assuming it’s a good alternative :)

• Charlotte
      February 18, 2016 8:48 am

I realise this comes *much* too late for Beth, but in case others with the same question see it: one of my best friends is also allergic to chickpeas, and I’ve made AF chocolate mousse for her from navy bean liquid: it was *very* slightly less airy than chickpea liquid mousse, but almost indistinguishable, so I’d say it’s fine to use it as a replacement in other recipes, too.

• Aeriol
    October 9, 2015 11:59 am

what temperature is it baked at?

• Aeriol
    October 9, 2015 12:00 pm

ok, see it now, those comments didn’t show when I posted…

October 9, 2015 12:04 pm

I’m glad you found it :)

• Anna
    October 10, 2015 4:47 am

Hi Rhiannon, The coconut milk we have here (17% fat) is not really wanna go stiff… :( It was in pieces when I scooped it, than whipped and became a liquid cream :( not like double-cream, more like single-cream (the one we use for cooking here). Any advice? Thanks, Anna

October 13, 2015 8:55 am

Hi Anna, I’m sorry your cream didn’t work out. I use either the Savoy brand of coconut cream (not coconut milk), or the Aroy-D brand of coconut milk. If either of those aren’t available, I look for the brand that has the highest % of fat – but always use canned, and make sure that you chill the can overnight at least. I try and keep a can of coconut milk in my fridge at all times.

As for melting on your cake, I’m not sure what happened there, other than maybe your cake wasn’t cooled enough? Or maybe, the issues with your coconut milk just wouldn’t hold.

• Anna
    October 10, 2015 5:13 am

Also it seems, when I added the coconut cream it melted when I scooped it on the dough :(

• susanne
    November 3, 2015 12:26 pm

so the cream is not with the chickpea foam… did you ever try that? if its so good for macaroon fillings there must be that possibility also??

November 5, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi Susanne,

The filling in this cream roll is from a can of coconut milk. I could be wrong, but I think that aquafaba is used for making the macaron cookies themselves, not the filling.

• L
    November 12, 2015 11:39 am

Hey!
    How long do you think the swiss roll would hold up? Could I give them as christmas presents?

L

November 16, 2015 9:47 am

Good morning L,

What a great gift idea! I’d love to get something like this :) But, because there aren’t any preservatives in the recipe, I would say that it will only stay good for 3 days or so. Maybe if you make them the day before you give them, or make a test one and freeze it to see how it holds up once it’s been thawed would be my only suggestions. Good luck!

• Michelle
    November 24, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi there Rhiannon! Thanks so
    Much for this recipe! I just made this and it’s so amazing! I did alter the cream part and added cashew cream that I made, my only sadness is it fell apart when I rolled it up. I froze it, and it’s heavenly delicious (I had to sample some before I froze it for Thursday) but mine didn’t turn out nearly as pretty as yours! So yummy though. Any ideas on what I can use to bind this better? I used bobs mill organic wheat flour and everything else according to recipe other than some vanilla in the mix.

• Trackback: 21 Vegan Chickpea Recipes – Wraps, Dips, Desserts, and More! » Vegan Food Lover
  • Trackback: 30 Decadent Dairy Free Desserts You Can Indulge In Guilt-Free