mango honey fruit leather

Mango Honey Fruit Leather is the Bees Knees

mango honey fruit leather

I have a problem. Well, I have more than one problem, but don’t we all. My specific to today problem is that I have a hard time passing up sales. And a sale on mangos is one I NEVER walk by.

Anytime I see a discount on food, I usually stock up. I am always picking through the 50% off racks at Superstore, grabbing bananas (for banana bread) or mushrooms (when properly stored, mushrooms last forever, so I’m not sure why the ones I buy are on clearance since they look just fine, but you won’t catch me complaining), and sometimes even giant bags of jalapeno peppers (the last batch ended up in the garbage because I couldn’t decide what I wanted to do with them fast enough).

Any ideas on what I could do with a big bag of jalapenos, should I come across them again? I love spicy food, and wanted so bad to preserve them in some way.

When I saw cases of mangos on sale last week, I had a really hard time not buying several. I held back and only grabbed one case. Mangos are always a hit in my house, both the kids and I love them (Dave is more of an apple kind of guy)

mango honey fruit leather

The box sat in my pantry all weekend, so I finally took the time to peel them, remove the seeds, research if there is anything I can do with the skin and/or seeds before I just throw them away (I couldn’t find anything) and run all the pulp through my Vitamix.

8 mangos gives a lot of pulp!

mango honey fruit leather

I pulled out 6 cups of puree for my favourite fruit leather. My kids both love this snack, and I certainly don’t mind giving it to them, especially after spending all winter cooped up eating banana, apples and oranges because all other fruit was either non-existent or too expensive to justify buying in the off season. And, I have enough mango puree left over to do some experimental baking with tomorrow.

This is an easy peasy recipe, and you don’t have to have a Vitamix to do it (any blender or food processor will work too). You don’t even need a dehydrator. I’ve done the recipe in the oven with awesome results. They are sticky, but make an awesome on-the-go snack for trips to the gym, park, beach, camping, etc. I put them in before bed, and they were done when I woke up. I didn’t even have to listen the dehydrator going all night.

Now I just need to stop myself from going back and buying a few more cases.

mango honey fruit leather

mango honey fruit leather

Mango Honey Fruit Leather

Ingredients

• 6 cups of mangos, cubed
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice

Instructions

1. Place all ingredients in blender or food processor
  2. Run for 1 minute or until smooth
  3. Spread out on dehydrator fruit leather trays or 2 cookie sheets (lined with parchment paper)
  4. Dehydrator: Let run at 135F overnight or 8-10 hours
  5. Oven: Bake at 170F for about 10 hours.
  6. With either method, you'll know they're done when they are tacky to the touch.
  7. Using scissors, cut into your desired size strips

mango honey fruit leather

What do you stock up on when you see a sale?

Recipe inspired by spoonful.com

dashofbutter.com | signature

13 Comments

• Gay McCoan
    May 7, 2014 4:18 pm

This looks great – just have to keep mangoes long enough to make leathers. They usually disappear too quickly. I’d love a recipe for mango chutney if you find one.

• Rhiannon
      May 7, 2014 4:41 pm

I do have a really good chutney recipe! I’ll add it to my to-post list :)

• Trackback: recipe reciprocity | Fortune Goodies
  • Eats Meets West
    May 29, 2014 7:25 pm

For excess jalapenos, may I direct you to Ikhlas Hussain’s Jalapeno Cheese Poppers (http://ikhlashussain.com/2013/09/recipe-best-ever-jalapeno-poppers) and my usual haunt, her Jalapeno Cheese Poppers Sandwich (http://ikhlashussain.com/2014/01/recipe-jalapeno-popper-sandwiches) . The sandwich fulfills my feed-me-now craving, and though I’ve yet to try the round cheese poppers, I’ve heard they’re ooey gooey bombs of spicy cheesy goodness aaand I’m sure it would make a conveniently delicious freezer option for when a crowd demands good snacks :) We use lots of peppers at home (perks of being Indian lol), so for ease, my mom takes lots of chilies and she blends them into a smooth paste in a blender. Then she spreads them thick on a small flat tray and freezes them, then cubes them so that they become instant spice cubes for dishes. We do the same with ginger-garlic, so it greatly reduces chopping time. I’m sure you could do this with jalapenos too.

Anyways- your mango leather recipe is timely since I too have many boxes of mango in my house & have been dying to try mango leather. A while back I saw this recipe for mango leather on Modernist Cuisine’s website (http://modernistcuisine.com/recip es/mango-chili-leather), and they added some red Thai Chili to it. I also love dried mango, so I might give that a try. Throwing around so many ideas lol, so thanks for the inspiration :)

• Rhiannon
      May 31, 2014 5:10 pm

I like the idea of making jalapeno paste! I think that’s exactly what I’ll do next time.

• Trackback: Foodies With Kids Recipe Round-Up
  • Matt @ Plating Pixels
    July 7, 2014 12:02 am

I saw this on the Curried Cantaloupe recipe roundup that my Orange Cumin and Chicken Couscous recipe is featured on as well. Don’t have a dehydrator so I’ll have to try the oven. This looks amazing and I love your photography!

• Rhiannon
      July 7, 2014 9:47 pm

Thank you so much for your comments Matt!

• Trackback: 50 Paleo Snacks on-the-go Ideas
  • Tracey-Lee
    June 29, 2015 11:28 pm

The lemon juice, could I use lemon concentrate? Or is it better to use fresh lemon?

• Rhiannon
      July 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Use whatever you’ve got :)

• Trackback: Clean Eating Lunch Box Ideas - My Natural Family