You must be looking for best Vegan Potato Recipes to try this week. In this post, I have shared my top 5 favorite potato recipes which are all vegan.
Potato is the most versatile vegetable out there and let’s be honest, we all love the good ol’ potato in one form or the other. For holidays, there is potato casserole. For lazy weekends- grilled potato steaks.
For cheat days- fattening potato burgers and baked potatoes. For parties- upscale potato bites. For mood uplifting days- creamy mashed potatoes. And so on! No matter the occasion, potato is the comfort food that not just fits the menu but can steal the thunder.
What’s more? Most of these recipes are pretty easy to ace. Some other reasons why the potato is the star vegetable are because they are readily available all year round irrespective of any season or time of the year, cheap on the pocket, easy to make, and are brimful of potassium and many other vitamins, proteins and minerals.
Having stated all of that- the good and the positives of potato, we realize that the world is becoming more health conscious by the day and more and more people are resorting to vegan options. So here in this blog on vegan potato recipes, we will walk you through some of the best vegan potato recipes that you can make at home and relish the sumptuous taste of the amaze veggie.
Although potato recipes vegan or otherwise are usually simple to make. But other than being healthy, these vegan potato recipes are also really delicious and in no way would make you miss the original version.
Have a look at the 5 best vegan potato recipes given below
These recipes are enough to make your drool just at the sight of them.
1. Vegan Potato Wedges
Can you think of a better comfort food than potato wedges? One of the top vegan potato recipes is that of a Vegan Potato Wedge. Now, there are all sorts of potato wedges available in the cafes and eateries out there. But someone who has had their fair share of wedges can identify a good one from a mediocre one. A good potato wedge should be crispy or the outside, soft on the inside and evenly salter throughout for enhanced flavors.
This is one of the best recipes where we will tell you how to make potato wedges in olive oil or butter or regular refined oil. You can parboil them or bake them. And you can use russet potato or the regular oily ones. But we are here to tell you to use exactly what in order to get a perfectly delicious bowl of crispy soft potato wedges and the recipe is pretty simple to follow.
Ingredients for Vegan Potato Wedges:
- Russet Potato- 1 Pound
- Kosher salt- ½ teaspoons
- Pepper- ¼ teaspoons
- Salted butter- 2 tablespoons
Recipe for Vegan Potato Wedges:
2. Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
The second item on our vegan potato recipes list is the Creamy Vegan Potato Soup which is one of the best go-to comfort foods. Other than being light on the gut and healthy, it is also very simple to make and is the go to options for last minute meal preps. Check out the recipe below and you will agree with us.
Our creamy vegan potato soup is 100% vegan and tastes sinfully delicious. One bite into it and you will feel an explosion of mellow flavors on your palate enough to give you a foodgasm. This one is slightly complex to make so we will list down the ingredients and recipes one by one.
Ingredients for Vegan Potato Soup:
1. Small Onion Shallots - 2 large
2. Garlic - 4 cloves
3. Russet Potato - 4 medium or 3 large
4. Coconut Oil - 4 tablespoons
(You can also use olive oil but that gives the soup a slightly yellow hue)
5. All Purpose Flour - 6 tablespoons
(You can also use gluten free flour)
6. Vegetable Broth - 2 cups
7. Oat Milk - 4 cups
8. Kosher Salt- As per taste
Recipe for Vegan Potato Soup:
1. Mince the shallots and garlic.
2. Peel and cut small dices of potatoes.
3. Heat coconut oil in the pan. Add garlic and shallots and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Shake and sprinkle the flour over the vegetable and stir for even coating. Cook for 3-4 min until they turn brown.
5. Slowly pour the vegetable broth bit by bit and stir to avoid forming lumps.
6. Once the broth has infused well, add kosher salt, oat milk and potatoes.
7. Bring to a simmer and then slow cook for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes start falling apart. Keep on stirring in between to avoid sticking at the bottom.
8. Remove the pan from the stove and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. You could also use an electronic blender. But a hand masher gives a more chunky and raw texture.
9. Stir once again to spread the creamy texture all over. Garnish with toppings and
What is the Perfect Non-Dairy Milk for Potato Soup?
Some vegan potato recipes are comparatively trickier to execute and Creamy Vegan Potato soup is one of them. It is tricky to make as it requires to be creamy without using any dairy milk or cream. Here is some vegan milk that you can opt for.
1. Oat Milk is considered most ideal since it is the creamiest and has a neutral taste.
2. Almond milk is also an alternative but it is less creamy and has a very thin texture that could make the soup watery.
3. Coconut Milk and Soy Milk are although vegan options but it NOT recommended to use them because they have too strong flavors of their own.
Toppings for the Potato Soup
For a vegan potato soup, you cannot use cream, cheese or bacon. But there are plenty of other options and recipes-
1. Coconut Bacon - It is chewy and smoky and is the perfect vegan substitute for bacon.
2. Vegan sour cream, cashew cream or plain yoghurt- For enhanced tastes you could use homemade or store-bought vegan sour cream, cashew cream or vegan yoghurt.
3. Chives or Green Onions- It not only makes the soup look aesthetically beautiful but is also good for garnishing.
4. Sliced Orange Pepper- This is an aesthetic substitute for shredded cheese which not only adds color but also flavor.
Sides for the Potato Soup
5. Garlic Toast
3. Classic Vegan Potato Salad
A vegan potato salad is a staple side dish or a plant based dish that suits almost every occasion, is the best comfort food and is one of our top picks for vegan potato recipes blog.
However, here we are going to give you the recipe which is basically the classic potato salad but with a twist. It’ll taste just like the one you pick from any deli counter or the one that your grandma makes at home. We assure you that you will love it and the best part is that it is completely vegan.
Of course, you can use store bought vegan mayo to use in the original classic recipe. But in case you are looking for homemade options, here we have used homemade cashew mayonnaise to give the salad a richer, creamier and healthier texture. Follow the ingredients and recipes below to savor a plate of delicious vegan potato salad.
Tips for the Best Classic Vegan Potato Salad
This is a recipe for a classic American style Potato salad which we have recreated with all vegan options. So here are a few tricks and tips to keep in mind while following the recipes so the taste of the salad is not compromised upon.
1. Yukon gold potato is considered best for a potato salad because it can hold the original shape while absorbing most spices and sauce within, which gives better results.
2. Adding vinegar to the potatoes after boiling gives them a slightly tangy flavor which is a special feature of a classic American potato salad.
3. Mince some dill pickles for added flavors and garnishing. Along with dill pickles, you could also use celery and green onion for a good crunch.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Ingredients for Classic Vegan Potato Salad:
1. Cashew Mayonnaise- 1 cup (How to make instructions given below)
2. Yukon gold potato- 2 ½ pounds
3. White vinegar- 3 tablespoons
4. Kosher salt- 1 teaspoon
5. Celery Stalks- 3 large
6. Green Onions- 5
7. Minced dill pickles- ½ cup
8. Yellow mustard- 1 tablespoon
9. Black pepper
Recipe of Classic Vegan Potato Salad:
1. Boil the potatoes and cut them into quarters while keeping the skin on.
2. Put the diced potatoes in the pan again and bring it to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes turn tender (check with a fork).
3. Drain the water and peel the potato skin. And cut the quarters into bite size pieces.
4. Transfer the cut potatoes in another bowl. Add vinegar and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Mix the potatoes well and allow them to stand for sometime until ready for assemblage.
5. Meanwhile, slice the celery stalk half lengthwise and process to cut them into small scallions horizontally. Slice the green onions and mince the dill pickle.
6. Take the standing potatoes and add cashew mayo, sliced celery, chopped green onions and minced dill pickle.
7. Add 1 table yellow mustard, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
8. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for later use.
How to Make Vegan Cashew Mayo at Home?
Cashew Mayonnaise is an important ingredient in the potato salad. And it is relatively simple to make cashew mayo at home. Just follow the below steps.
Ingredients for Cashew Mayonnaise:
1. Raw Cashews- 1 cup
2. Water- ¼ cup
3. Extra virgin olive oil- ¼ cup
4. Yellow Mustard- 1 ½ tablespoon
5. White Vinegar- 2 tablespoons
6. Maple syrup- 1 teaspoon
7. Garlic powder- ¼ teaspoon
8. Kosher salt- ½ teaspoon
Recipe to Make Cashew Mayonnaise:
1. Soak cashews in the water for at least 30 minutes (or more).
2. Drain the water after the cashews have turned soft or a little rubbery.
3. Take a blender and add the soaked cashews, water, olive oil, white vinegar, yellow mustard, garlic powder, maple syrup and kosher salt.
4. Blend on high till the mixture turns smooth and creamy.
5. Your cashew mayo is ready. You can use it immediately or store it for better use.
How to Serve the Salad?
You can serve a potato salad in a number of ways-
1. For a cookout- You can serve it alongside grilled veggies or as a side dish to a burger.
2. For a picnic- Potato salads go well with fresh fruits and chickpea salad
3. For a salad side- If you are serving a mix of salad types, you can serve a potato salad alongside.
Other Storage Info
You can store the potato salad in a refrigerator for up to 5 days and it will taste just as good. In case you have to prepare it in advance, you can prepare it ahead of 2 days from the time of serving.
4. Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Who wouldn’t want a spoonful of dreamy, fluffy and smooth mashed potatoes in their mouth? We know we do! Another plant-based dish on our vegan potato recipes list is the most favourite comfort food for all. Mashed potato is one dish that looks very easy to make but is actually very tricky if you want it to taste just right. And vegan mashed potatoes are even harder to ace without the regular cream, butter and cheese. Here are the recipes and other details.
Right Choice of Potato for Vegan Mashed Potatoes
The choice of potato matters in all dishes but especially in the ones where you need mashed potatoes or you want to make a soup. For this, the texture of the potato becomes of utmost importance. For the same reason, Yukon Gold Potato, (also known as Yellow Potato) is considered best for this plant-based dish.
It is not recommended to use russet potato for the recipes because russet potato has a bland flavor and is very mealy. Whereas, Yukon gold potato is buttery and richer and has a more wholesome flavour which also compensates for lack of dairy in the dish.
Right Oil and Non-Dairy Options for Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Although vegan butter is readily available in the market, it is not recommended to use it as it is quite processed. Olive oil is usually considered a substitute for the dish but adding just that could make the plant based dish taste a little flat. So the best solution to that is to mix olive oil with coconut oil which adds slight creaminess and mellow sweetness to the dish. It is a winning combination and the best substitute of vegan butter.
Next, since the dish follows vegan potato recipes, we need to think about the alternative to dairy options which can be oat, soy or almond milk. But since the non-dairy milk is very watery and does not add any significant texture to the recipe, we can skip adding it without compromising on the taste of the dish.
Another thing you can do to add richness to the dish is adding the left over starch water from boiling the potatoes in the given recipes. This starchy water will no doubt add a rich texture to the potatoes. But you have to be careful with the quantity you add because adding too much may make the potatoes waterlogged. Also, it is not necessary to add this water.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Ingredients for Vegan Mashed Potatoes:
1. Yukon Gold Potato (Yellow Potato) - 2 Pounds
2. Olive Oil - 6 tablespoons
3. Refined Coconut Oil - 2 tablespoons
4. Garlic - 3 cloves (peeled and smashed)
5. Chives - for garnish
6. Black Pepper - as per taste
7. Kosher Salt - as per taste
Recipe for Vegan Mashed Potatoes:
1. Begin by peeling the potato. Then roughly chop it in small pieces of 2 inches each. You can also choose to leave the skins on if you prefer that.
2. Transfer the chopped potato pieces to another pot. Cover with 1 inch water, add kosher salt and bring it to a boil.
3. After it has boiled once, cook on medium flame for 10-15 minutes till the potato pieces turn tender. Check by pressing them on the side of the pot with the back of a fork.
4. Once done, drain the water and save some of this starch water for later.
5. Heat olive oil in another saucepan. Heat on low flame, add garlic and simmer for a couple of minutes. Once they turn golden brown, separate them from the oil and discard.
6. Transfer the potato pieces to a pot. Add garlic infused olive oil, coconut oil, kosher salt and black pepper.
7. Mash the mixture until the desired texture is obtained. If the potatoes are too dry for your taste buds, you can drizzle a little potato starch water but keep the quantity in check else the potato chunks will get waterlogged.
8. Garnish and serve!
How to Serve Vegan Mashed Potatoes?
Of course you can serve the the dish on its own. There is no better comfort food after all. But in case you are looking for a side dish, here are your options-
1. With Gravy
2. With Vegan Meatballs
3. Or just load them up with chives, vegan sour cream, vegan butter, vegan bacon and more.
5. Vegan Shepherd's Pie
Well, we reserved our best plant-based dish from the vegan potato recipes for the last. The Shepherd’s Pie is a classic dish of the Americans which marks all occasions and especially the cosy winter season. You can feel an explosion of flavors in your mouth of tender vegetable, lentils, and creamy gravy with just one spoonful of it.
Shepherd’s Pie is the best dinner option for cultural days as well especially for warm winter afternoons and Sunday dinners, and goes well even without a side dish. And mind you, it is not an easy dish to make. It requires a lot of time and patience to cook a dish full of Shepherd’s Pie. Now making the antique dish vegan adds another twist to it. The whole dish is plant based and is baked in the oven to give it the final touches. Here’s detailed recipes on how you can make it at home.
Why is Vegan Shepherd’s Pie the Best Dinner Option?
The plant-based dish is considered special and royal and requires at least a full 1 hour to cook. Here are a few reasons that make the dish stand out from the regular potato dishes.
1. The filling is full, mealy and savoury giving the dish a wholesome texture which can be devoured without the need for any special side dish. The gravy is ultra-thick and meaty and filling.
2. The plant baked dish is full of proteins. The addition of peas, potato and lentils keeps the dish together without making it watery.
3. Usually it takes longer to make the dish but here we have tweaked the recipe so the Vegan Shepherd’s Pie can be cooked in under 1 hour, which is comparatively fast.
Right Choice of Potato, Lentils and Oil for Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Potato: Yukon gold potato is considered best for this plant based dish. Some recipes claim that the dish tastes best when made with russet potato. But that is only possible with generous additions of dairy products. Since we are making a vegan Shepherd’s Pie, it is better to use Yukon gold potato which has a naturally butter flavour and creamy texture that can make up for the lack of dairy in the dish.
Lentils: Although people usually prep the lentils at home to add in the Shepherd’s Pie according to some recipes. But here you can add the canned lentils that are readily available in departmental stores. That will save a lot of time. But if not, you can still cook your own lentils and add 1 ½ cups of lentils in the dish. You can cook black lentils and brown/green lentils in water with a little kosher salt. And refrigerate for later use. So you can alter the recipes as per choice.
Truffle Oil: We bring you a secret ingredient here that is not available in regular recipes. A little addition of truffle oil in between the layers of the Shepherd’s Pie gives it muted flavors thus enhancing the taste. This is a French trick to accentuate taste, you can just heat up a little truffle oil and mix it in the layers while prepping.
Some Tips for a Quick Prep of Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Amongst all the vegan potato recipes, Vegan Shepherd’s pie can be really time taking, so here are few tips and tricks that can help reduce the prep time considerably.
1. Prepare the mashed potatoes in advance (refer to the recipe given above). This will save considerable time while actually putting the dish together. In addition to that, it also helps set the potatoes beforehand. You can just heat the mashed potatoes and spread them on the Shepherd’s Pie dish when needed.
2. If you are really short of time, then you can also resort to making the filling in advance. You can reheat it before use. And then just put the ingredients together and bake the pie. You can also add it cold and bake it together. Although in that case, you will have to increase the baking time.
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Ingredients for Vegan Shepherd's Pie:
1. Vegan Mashed Potatoes - 1 Helping
2. Olive Oil - ¼ cup
3. Portabella Mushrooms - 8 ounces or 2 large mushroom caps
4. Yellow Onion - 1 medium
5. Carrots - 2 large
6. Kosher Salt - 1 teaspoon
7. All purpose flour - 2 tablespoons
8. Whole Fennel Seeds - 1 teaspoon
9. Smoked Paprika - 1 teaspoon
10. Garlic Powder - 1 teaspoon
11. Dried Sage - 1 tablespoon
12. Vegetable Broth - 2 cups
13. Frozen Peas - 1 cup
14. 15 Ounce Can Lentils - 1 (or 1 ½ cups of home cooked lentils)
15. Soy Sauce - 1 tablespoon (Substitute: Liquid Aminos)
16. Finely Chopped Fresh Rosemary - 1 teaspoon (for garnish)
Recipe for Vegan Shepherd’s Pie:
1. Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Reheat the vegan mashed potatoes or make them afresh (refer to the recipe above).
3. Prep the other vegetables- dice the mushrooms into small bite size pieces.
4. Peel and slice the carrots and cut them into small semi round shapes.
5. Peel the onions and slice them into thin slivers.
6. Proceed to make the filling for the pie. In a pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat it on medium flame.
7. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 min till golden brown.
8. Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil and add carrots and onions. Add ½ teaspoon kosher salt and cook till the onions turn golden brown.
9. Mix the all-purpose flour, fennel seeds, smoked paprika, dried sage and garlic powder and cook for a minute.
10. Add vegetable broth to the mix, followed by peas and lentils, soy sauce and ½ teaspoon kosher salt.
11. Cook the mixture for 5 minutes till the broth gets thick and soupy.
12. Add the mashed potatoes in the pot after the broth has hardened.
13. Take a small baking dish. Spread the recipe evenly on it. Bake for 18-20 min until the potatoes turn light brown. If you want, you can bake for longer to broil the potatoes.
14. Garnish with rosemary and your Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is ready to be served.
So, here are the top 5 vegan potato recipes that can be savoured on all occasions. Try any or all them and let us know which one you liked the best in the comments below.