Sunsets are romantic and breathtaking; they are beautiful in every way and Starbucks approves of that. The Sunset Drink at Starbucks was popularised by social media in August 2021 and its popularity is not ceasing any time soon. People love this refreshing yet beautiful drink that gives them a hint of caffeine as well as delicious fruity flavours.
It’s a drink that has a gradient ombre effect hence the name, it is made of fruit refreshers and lemonade.
The different layers of fruit refreshers and juices are what create the ombre effect. The drink is sweet and tangy at the same time and looks wonderful with its dramatic sunset effect.
What’s a Sunset Drink at Starbucks?
The sunset drink at Starbucks is a mildly caffeinated sweet drink with lots of fruity flavours.
There are two versions of the Sunset drink, one with iced tea and the other with a refresher base.
The iced tea one has 25 – 30 mg of caffeine if ordered in a Grande size, which is 16 ounces. The Refresher one also has caffeine in it as all the Refresher bases at Starbucks have green coffee extracts in them.
It is a drink that doesn’t have much caffeine in it so if you are not so much of a fan of caffeine but still need to be energized, this is the drink for you.
The drink is very pleasing to the eye and is very aesthetically made. It is a drink that will force you to shut your eyes till the last drop.
As the drink falls under the secret menu at Starbucks, your baristas might not know the drink by its name. you are to specify what you want to the server in order to get your desired drink.
The cool drink on a hot summer day that looks like you are literally holding the sun in your cup is sure to be a phenomenal experience.
Let us look at the recipe so that you can make this iconic drink at home without waiting for your turn at Starbucks.
1. Mango-Dragon fruit Lemonade
The Mango-Dragon fruit lemonade is what gives the drink its orange hue. The Lemonade is from the regular menu and it works as a base for the drink. All special or secret menu drinks start off with a regular menu drink. Mango-Dragon fruit lemonade is a refresher drink that is sweet and a little tangy. A Grande Mango-Dragon fruit Lemonade Refresher has about 45 mg of caffeine. To compare, a Grande iced coffee has 145 mg of caffeine.
2. Peach juice
The peach juice of Starbucks is a sweet fruity syrup made from real peaches. The syrup adds extra sweetness to an already-sweetened drink. It is used to have that ombre effect because it has a dark pinkish to orangish color. The syrup is specially made by Starbucks to be added to the drinks as toppings.
3. Iced Passion Tango Tea
It’s an unsweetened hibiscus tea which also has a reddish color and this is what pulls all of the drinks together. The tea will be at the top of the drink making the drink look like a sunset.
The Mango-Dragon fruit Lemonade sits at the bottom of the cup while the raspberry syrup sits on top of it and the iced tea is layered on top of all of it.
Read more: Starbucks Dragon Drink Recipe
How to make Sunset Drink
Follow these steps to get close to the original Starbucks flavor. The menu has some variations in it that really make the taste of the drink better.
- Acai powder
- 2 pumps of Mango syrup
- 2 pumps of peach juice
- Green Tea
- Firstly, dice the strawberries into pieces and add them to the blender with 1/4th cup of water. Blend till it’s smooth and then add the acai powder and transfer the mixture into a tall glass.
- In a Venti cup pour the strawberry acai mixture at the bottom till the first line. Then add water till the third line and add two pumps each of mango and peach syrup. The store-bought mango and peach syrups would have caffeine in them so beware of them. You are left with a beautiful ombre orange and red drink
- If you want to make your syrups from scratch then all you have to do is cut your whole fruits, blend them with water, and put that in a saucepan over medium heat. Then add sugar and green tea powder and let it cool.
Read more: Starbucks Strawberry Drinks
How to Order it at Starbucks
The drink is available in all four sizes Starbucks, Tall (12 ounces), Grande (16 ounces), Venti (24 ounces), and Trenta (30 ounces).
To order the drink ask your barista to give you Grande Mango-Dragon fruit Lemonade without any Dragon fruit inclusions. Then tell them to add a splash of peach and pineapple juice.
Finally, ask them to add Iced Passion Tango Tea on top of it. Easy right? The drink costs about $5.75 plus taxes. The price varies but it is $4.45 for the Mango Dragon fruit Lemonade, $0.50 for a splash of Iced Passion Tango Tea, and $0.80 for the peach juice blend.
Starbucks Sunset Drink Recipe
- ½ cup Mango Dragon fruit Lemonade
- ½ cup Peach Juice
- ¼ cup Pineapple Syrup (Optional)
- ½ cup Light Passion Tea
- 1 cup ice
- Mango Dragon fruit Lemonade along with the peach juice and pineapple syrup is shaken for 20 seconds in a cocktail shaker.
- Pour all the shaken liquid into a tall glass.
- Then pour the ½ cup of passion tea on top of the mixture and serve.