I posted a very similar muffin recipe before (back when I first started this blog), but this time I’ve veganized it. I love the combo of chocolate and cherry, and (in my opinion), needs almond extract instead of vanilla. I have a big bottle of the real stuff, but thanks to a nut-free school, I never get to use it if I want to send them with my kids. So, I also keep a bottle of the imitation stuff for just such an occasion.
Chocolate Cherry Vegan Muffins
- 3/4 c. Coconut Oil
- 3/4 c. Vegan Butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 2 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 c. Unsweetened plain applesauce
- 1 tsp. Almond extract
- 4 c. All purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 c. Coconut Milk (soured with 2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar about 5 minutes before using)
- 1.5 c. Vegan chocolate chips
- 2 c. Cherries, pitted and halved (if using fresh)
- Granulated Sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together coconut oil, vegan butter and sugar until pale - about 5 minutes.
- Add in applesauce and almond extract and mix until combined.
- In separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to mixer until just combined
- Add in soured milk, and then fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Scoop into lined muffin tin (about 3/4 full - they don't rise as much as traditional muffins) and bake about 20 minutes (start checking on them at about 15)