Every morning, I ask my kids the same question.
“What are we going to have for supper tonight?”
Sometimes I already have it figured out, sometimes I don’t. On this particular day, Madelyn replied with: “Something with broccoli”. It also happened to be a chilly day, and I had grabbed a loaf of fresh french bread from the grocery store.
Mmmmm mmmm soup.
This soup is cheezy, creamy and everything that condensed stuff from the red can is, plus more. Much more. Every single ingredient in this soup is plant based, and pronounceable.
Taking the time to make soup from scratch is so easy, and the taste rewards are worth it. You can even have a cream based soup without actually using any cream. I started out with the same base that I use to make Mac & Cheeze: Potatoes, carrots, onion, soaked cashews and nutritional yeast with seasonings. Sounds weird? I promise, it will be amazing at the end.
My family tends to have a bigger appetite, so I ended up cooking some gnocchi after I took these pictures, and throwing that in last minute.
And, just for fun – here are a couple of pictures from my family pumpkin carving the other night. Their pumpkins turned out great. I printed off some stencils to go by, and Dave did the carving. I saw someone using a Dremel on the internet, and I was sure glad we have one. It made his job so much easier!
I hope you all have a safe and wonderful Halloween weekend! We have the clocks going back, a full moon and a weekend long sugar high. Wish me luck! 😛
- 1 lrg Potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 lrg Onion, diced
- 1 lrg Carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 c. Cashews, soaked in warm water for 1/2 hour or until soft. Drain and rinse.
- 1/4 c. Nutritional Yeast
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled but left whole if your blender is strong
- Cooking water, as needed to thin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Soup:
- 1 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1/2 lrg Onion, diced
- 1/2 c. White wine
- 1 stalk Celery, washed and diced
- 1 c. Carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 lb Broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 c. Almond Milk
- 1 c. "Chickenless" Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
- 2 c. Cheeze Sauce
- In medium saucepan, bring some water to a boil. Add some salt (like you would if you were cooking pasta)
- Add in the potato, onion and carrot and simmer until cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer all veggies to the jug of a blender, and add the soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend on high for a minute, or until very pureed. Add cooking water as needed to create a thick sauce like consistency. Set aside.
- In same saucepan, over medium high heat, melt vegan butter
- Add onion and celery and saute until soft, about 5 minutes
- Pour in the wine and scrape up the bits from the bottom and reduce to about half.
- Add in the julienned carrot, the broccoli, almond milk, broth and cheeze sauce and simmer until broccoli cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with non-dairy cheeze on top and with some fresh bread.
© 2014 - DashofButter.com