watermelon jerky

Watermelon Jerky. It’s not just for meat.

watermelon jerky Watermelon can be evil.

I have a spare fridge in my garage. It holds any excess of food that won’t fit in my house fridge when I’ve made a big trip to Costco, and is especially handy at birthday party time. Do I sometimes forget about perishables in there? Yup.

Last summer, I had sliced up a bunch of watermelon to take back to the lake with me (I had to come home during my annual vacation to Slave Lake to shoot a wedding), and then didn’t end up taking it. It sat in the fridge for a while, and I knew it had gone bad, but ignorance is bliss. I didn’t want to deal with it. Winter came, and everything in the fridge froze (including some other stuff that shouldn’t freeze, like eggs). So, at least all of the food was preserved for a while. Then, the spring thaw came and I was told I had to throw it out. At this point, the watermelon had completely liquified. Rind and all. It was gross 😛

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when I was in party prep mode again. I didn’t want to even look in the fridge, let alone clean it. I jammed and crammed as much into my house fridge as possible in the hopes that the cleaning fairy would come and take care of it. And, he did. Dave finally got tired of waiting for me and cleaned it out himself. Phew! Dodged a bullet with that one.

Lesson learned. When I put the leftover watermelon from Logan’s Star Wars party in that same fridge, Dave joked that he would clean it out next year. I wanted to prove him wrong and use up the leftovers before that happened. So, I decided to throw it in my dehydrator to see what would happen.

watermelon jerky
Taken on instagram. You can follow me at instagram.com/dashofbutter

watermelon jerky

A delicious new snack!

watermelon jerky

And, so easy. There isn’t really a recipe because there is only one ingredient. I sliced the watermelon to about 1/4″ thick strips and put in my dehydrator at 135F for the day. Once they were dried out and firm, I let cool and put into a ziploc bag in my pantry to throw into the kid’s lunches. No extra sugar, no extra additives. Just watermelon.

watermelon jerky

I hope you all have a great weekend! I’m not taking advantage of the first long weekend of the warm weather by going camping (thumbs down), but will be cleaning up my yard and hopefully planting my garden. We can’t plant before May long weekend, because it usually snows or gets cold.

sig

23 Comments

• Sherri@The Well Floured Kitchen
    May 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Oh man, I’m a little jealous of your dehydrator, it’s been on my wish list for years. I’ve never seen dehydrated watermelon before, I’m surprised considering the water content. I’ve have done some fruit in the oven before, so maybe it could work. I know the kids would love it. Looks amazing, pinned!

• Rhiannon
      May 17, 2014 9:34 am

Thank you! :) I love my dehydrator, I use it a lot. I think you could definitely do it in the oven too though.

• Lorna
        July 7, 2015 5:35 am

Living in a very sunny climate, we have managed to sun dry figs and tomatoes – maybe we should try melon, too. In the summer we have so many available, it would be nice to preserve the flavour for winter months, when there are none.

• Eats Meets West
      May 29, 2014 7:31 pm

I’m also quite jealous haha but happy for you since you’ve shared this with us. ’cause now I know what to do with hopeless days-after-its-been-cut watermelon. Though I hope it won’t affect the jerky’s taste too much! So, approx. how long were these in the dehydrator for?

• Rhiannon
        May 31, 2014 5:10 pm

I don’t remember exactly how long, I put them in in the morning and by around supper time, most of them were done. I just pulled off the ones that were dry and left the few that weren’t quite there yet on to finish.

• Debbie
    May 24, 2014 5:57 pm

I don’t know about your dehydrator, but mine has openings in the bottom (I assume for the air to come through) I’ve always wondered how can I keep juices (such as watermelon) from getting into the motor. Have you had that problem or is yours newer than mine?

• Rhiannon
      May 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi Debbie, Thanks for your comment. At the base of my dehydrator, the motor is covered. It looks like the one in this link (googled my dehydrator to show you an example) – http://img0104.popscreencdn.com/158873215_nesco-american-harvest-fd-1018p-1000-watt-food-.jpg. I’ve never had a problem with juices getting into the motor.

• paige
        June 10, 2015 12:08 pm

hello. i just ran across this PIN. wow, it looks yummy. i wonder if you could do cantaloupe too. i miss that so much in the winter, and the frozen stuff sucks, or at least, i havent found a good brand yet. Can you tell me the name, make and model of your dehydrator? We had an old one from the 80’s, lol and it just had a coil at that bottom and you rotated the racks. There was about 4 racks with air holes all thru them, and you had to rotate them periodically. I have made dried apple slices with strawberry jello powder on them. they ar soo good. I think my brothers dehydrator has a small fan, and maybe a temp. control, but im not sure about the temp.control , but def. a fan. which would be good for the air to circulate and dry things more evenly.
        i hope you get his message, please let me know. i am new to pinterest.. so, if you want you can email me, at paigangel@yahoo.com
        if not, pin me it and i will try to find it, lol…

• Trackback: Pina Colada Jam Tart | Bring a Little Tropics to your Baking - Dash of Butter
  • carmen ☮
    June 12, 2014 8:35 pm

This look scrumptious; I wish I could try it, but I’ll just have to imagine! Looks like someone (me) needs a dehydrator. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

• Rhiannon
      June 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks Carmen :) Dehydrators are awesome, but I’m sure you could try making them in your oven though. Get the watermelon on a wire rack and turn the temp down as low as it will go. If that’s still too hot, you could crack the door of your oven a little and keep an eye on them.

• Trackback: 10 Easy Summer Snacks
  • Trackback: 50+ Best Watermelon Recipes
  • Trackback: 20 Dehydrated Fruit Recipes That Will Turn You Into A Fruit Addict
  • Trackback: Watermelon Recipes – Fruit Desserts – ALL YOU | Deals, coupons, savings, sweepstakes and more…
  • Trackback: Seasonal snacking: Mouthwatering watermelon recipes - Canadian Running Magazine
  • Eric Morris
    July 8, 2015 5:47 am

I tried this years ago but the result was very sticky. people liked the taste but hated how they stuck to there teeth and fingers etc. did you have that issue?

• Rhiannon
      July 15, 2015 1:31 pm

I found it to be sticky to my teeth, but not my fingers, as I just popped the whole piece in my mouth :)

• Trackback: 20 Ways You Can Experiment With Watermelons This Summer | Funifi | Parenting, Kids Tech, Education & Chores
  • Trackback: Watermelon Day: 5 Unique Watermelon Recipes - Everyday Inspiration from LTDEveryday Inspiration from LTD
  • Trackback: Watermelon Recipes Round Up - The Knit Wit by Shair
  • Trackback: New Watermelon Recipes for Labor Day
  • Trackback: Schöne Rezepte New Watermelon Rezepte für Labor Day - Schöne Rezepte